Henry's Blog

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Lost


Sometime last year we found ourselves in an emotional state that could only be relieved by continuous distraction. We saw as many movies as we could and drowned ourselves in serial television. We rented all the back episodes of LOST and watched them back to back. We could relate to the abstract dilemmas posted by the series: disorientation, confusion, no sense of time or place, and thousands of questions with no answers.

Never any answers.

A few days ago Dad was almost home from walking the dog when he heard an eerie wail penetrate past his earbuds: A woman from the next street was calling for her ten-year old daughter. Have you seen a little girl? she asked. She was playing in the front yard and disappeared. She had been missing for an hour.

Dad took the dog home and he and Mama went back out to the terrified Mother. The terror on her face was heartbreaking but hauntingly familiar.

"She was playing in the front yard with a new puppy. I think she's been taken."

"Don't worry," said Mama with complete certainty, "we'll find her."

As we walked the neighborhood streets we could hear other searchers calling the little girl's name. After only a few minutes of searching, a truck drove past us and the driver said: "We found her!"

She had chased the puppy about a mile away from home. It was magical to see and hear the relief and joy pour from the Mother.

But that magic was slowly washed away by the tears that followed as we walked home hand in hand. If only we could find our own lost little boy.

We've lost Henry. And we are lost without him.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry... Words cannot express how my heart goes out to you. I believe that we will see Henry again and he will be whole and healthy...
It doesn't make missing him any easier. Your love for him will never die...

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The above was from me... Fran - I didn't realize I did not leave my name...

Benjamin and I both think and talk of Henry often. We still miss him too... And I think of you - Terry and Cynthia (as well as Henry) - every time I ride out of the plantation by your road. Or when I see the bus. Or when I see someone with a dog. Or when I think of Dolphin Head.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Caroline Jenkins said...

My heart aches for you both. Life has dealt you an unbelievably cruel blow, from which it's impossible to recover. I pray that the Easter story of the risen Christ will comfort you and that you will know in your hearts that in the life hereafter you will be reunited with your precious son. I think of you so often.
Caroline Jenkins

12:17 PM  
Blogger theatreknitter said...

I thought of you tonight. I am at the Boston pops and they projected beatles rockband for the audience to sing along. I think of Henry whenever I hear the beatles. I think of you two often, but especially then.

9:05 PM  
Blogger sleepinl8 said...

Another question without an answer: how to melt away the pain and grief from the loss of a child, without washing away the memories. Guess we'll be working on that one for a while.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

I am so so sorry, you have great blog to help share your story and others remember him. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Wow!!! I am so sorry for the loss of your son!! I lost my own son in 2003, he was stillborn at 39.4 weeks gestation. Many Hugs being sent your way!!!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Aanchal said...

your loss is huge.. Really touched..

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home