Henry's Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Icarus

This month our pre-ordered copy of The Beatles Rock Band arrived.

Henry loved the Beatles. During those final weeks he had tired of the High School Musical soundtrack and the Pokemon/Nintendo themes had run their course, so the Beatles were his preferred iPod selections - although the stereo split of those early recordings was frustrating to his deaf left ear: usually the vocals were on one channel with the bass and the remaining accompaniment was on the other channel. He would either hear unaccompanied voices or instruments with no vocals.

Nevertheless, he claimed Help as his favorite Beatles tune. But we knew he listened to All You Need Is Love most often.

He believed it, too.

The wii hadn't been turned on for months. After booting up, it greeted us with those familiar bubbling chimes that we would hear almost every morning when Henry turned it on. That magical sound was like a phone call from heaven. We felt such renewed pain, but also much joy. We were immediately surrounded by his presence.

It seems inconceivable that we have lived a year without Henry. How could we? Our lives revolved around him. It seems like we spent most of the last twelve months missing him but expecting his return, as if he had been away at camp. But in recent weeks the illusion became unsustainable and we have been washed away in a flood of sorrow.

There is comfort in keeping his memory alive. We are happier when we feel connected, but as we pass this anniversary mark we sense the unspoken judgement that we should be past the grief by now.

We will never be past it.

Henry had a yearning soul so far-reaching that it is our duty to honor, keep and savor his ambitious spirit every single day.

Especially today.

That hunger for the sun and the sky recalls an old myth of a kindred soul from ages past. Maybe today they are flying together listening to music in full celestial stereo.

We love you Henry.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last night, in the Jewish tradition, we lit a yahrtzeit candle for Henry and we all shared what we refer to in our family as our "Henry stories" The candle will burn brightly all day today. Love, Sharon, Kevin, Aidan and Sam.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Henry will always be remembered!!

You are a shining star my friend..rest well sweet boy!

Love,
Wendy

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending my love with a heavy heart today. I saw 3 yellow butterflies braving the unseasonably cold chill this Atlanta morning...dancing around the last blooms of summer. Keep dancing Henry...I see you everywhere.

Love,
Aunt Scott

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Thinking of you guys today. :)

Jenny

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will always be his Mother and his Father. Even though you can't see him, he is always with you.
Love, Deb

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think of Henry and both of you often. What an inspiration you all have been and continue to be every day! Thank you Henry for sharing your life with us and, Cent and Terry thank you for continuing Henry's life through your eyes for all of us. I am honored to be a part of your lives and you will always be family to me.
Love,
Teresa (Jackson)

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want you to know how much I think of you and pray for you to feel peace. Wendy emailed me first thing on the year anniversary. We both feel so blessed to have taught Henry in 4th grade. I think of you both on every holiday morning (and many times when I tuck my 4 year old son into bed at night) Terry, I will always remember the love in your eyes when you looked at sweet Henry. I will always pray for you. You both have a beautiful angel watching over you always~
Love,
Kristin Thompson

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't stopped thinking of Henry, as well as the two of you,for the entire year.
I can't find the words to express how I have been touched by Henry. I know that I never meet him, even thought I felt I got to know a little of how special a boy he is! Thank you both for continuing to share his precious life with us. Your memories of him are full of love, the kind of love that is an example to everyone.

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home